2008/10/26

ORA-12500 on windows platform

Oracle 9.2.5.0, Windows 2000

This is a recent issure I found concerning oracle net service.

If I start OracleServiceSID under a domain user, and start OracleOracleHomeTNSListener under LocalSystem, I cannot connect to oracle through local naming on the same machine, I get ORA-12500. But I can connect to oracle using OS authentication on the same machine, and I can also connect to oracle through local naming from a client machine. But this wired thing will never happen if I start both of them under the same domain user, or start OracleServiceSID under LocalSystem.

Big difference between Linux/Unix and Windows platform regarding Oracle is that windows have domain user, and service for oracle, and dierent services can be started under different users. DBAs should always pay attention to under which user the service is started. Different privs can lead to oracle errors.

No comments: